Tuesday, August 31, 2010

North Houston Comics Jam post-report

The first NHCJ came and went. So "how'd it go?" you may be asking yourself. Weeeeeeeeeell... Not so good. Let's be honest, I didn't seriously think we'd be busting the doors down but I thought at least a FEW people would show up. Instead one guy showed up asking, "Is this that drawing thing?" and I had a hunch he was there under the impression there'd be free food. At least he was a good sport about it and we even drew a couple of strips before calling it a night.

So it looks like the first NHCJ is also going to be the last NHCJ. Oh well. I tried. Lynn pointed out to me that this part of town is mostly older families/retirees and probably has fewer creative folks than the in-town Montrose/Westheimer areas. Ok, I'll give you that. But this part of town is also home to one of Houston's best comic shops, one of Houston's most ecclectic record stores, and a great art supply store that told me they had a lot of customers who draw comics so I guess you can understand why I'm so baffled by the dismal turnout.

~sigh~

I wonder if Cheese Hasselberger ever had days like this?

2 comments:

  1. Aww, I'm sorry to hear it! It always sucks when you put so much effort into something and it kinda rolls over like that. But please don't get discouraged! We're all rooting for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @madamluna

    Thx for the encouragement. The guys at Bedrock City expressed some interest in making a comic jam happen so I'm figuring maybe I should talk to them about getting one going in a part of town that has some more creative people hanging around.

    ReplyDelete