Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Holloweiner

Ah yes... Another October 31 and yet another night of kids pounding on our door even though all the lights are turned off. Although I gotta confess I do have a weakness for scary movies so yesterday I watched Paranormal Activity which I enjoyed quite a bit even though afterwards I was all like, "If the boyfriend hadn't been such a jerkass none of that mess woulda happened." And today in the spirit of the holiday I watched the documentary Hell House which was frightening in it's own way (hella good movie. go see it if you haven't...)

Watching those films got me thinking about when was the last time I was really scared by a movie. I mean... really really REALLY scared. Jump out of your seat and yelp scared. Weeeeeeell. There is one incident in particular that I remember from a while back. Ahem...

It was the early 90's and I was meeting my Dad for a visit. We had lunch, talked and decided to go see a movie. Now this was in the Summer and the sky was getting dark so we hustled into the theater and counted ourselves lucky we got inside before it started to rain. Checking the marquee, the only film showing that didn't totally suck was Clive Barker's Candyman so ok two tickets for that please.

We're watching the film and in the background you can hear the sounds of rain pounding on the theater exterior (good thing we beat that storm!) The film rolls on and we get to a scene where Virginia Madsen's character is interviewing people trying to get information on the Candyman but nobody wants to talk to her about it because it's just too horrible.

Finally she meets this kid who agrees to tell her a Candyman story he heard second-hand about this guy who's son was a crack baby that grew up into a crack toddler that basically screamed all the time. One day they're at the park and the kid has to go to the bathroom so he sends the shreiking kid into the bog all by himself. After a short while he notices that his kid isn't screaming anymore and thinks to himself, "That can't be good." So he goes into the public restroom looking for his kid and doesn't see him. He also notices all the stall doors are open except for one. The kid continues his story, "So the guy reaches for the door... and pulls it open... and he sees..."

KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

Right at that moment there is the LOUDEST clap of thunder I've ever heard in my life and all the power goes out in the theater casting everyone into total darkness.

Holy shit. For a moment it's silent. I mean pin-drop silent. Then people start screaming. Within seconds the emergency power comes on and theater staff tell us that a severe thunderstorm knocked out the power and all tickets will be refunded or exchanged for another showing. My Dad and I opt for the refund because there is NO WAY anything else that happened in that film could match the scare we just got.

Happy Halloween folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment